Setting a custom template as the default
From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
To set a custom template as the default:
- From the main menu, choose File > Templates > Organize. The Template Management window opens.
- In the box on the left, double-click the folder containing the template that you want to set as the default.
- Click the template that you want to set as the default.
- Click the Commands button.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Set As Default Template. The next time that you create a document by choosing File > New, the document will be created from this template.