Previous Education Meetings logs/November 2007/16th November

From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Agenda for 16th of November 2007 meeting

1. Welcome people and devs joining Education project

2. Actions Items

Action item 1 : define objectives for Education project

Proposal :

Mission of the Education projet: Its purpose his to help teachers as well as students or anybody involved in education to enter the project and find a place where to contribute or to find informations

What you'll find here

a development category to provide a central node for the development of by students, either working alone or in a class.

a tools category where you'll find listed several tools available through usage or along it. They will be provided in the language they exist

a more general category listing usage in shools and universities and documentation for developers

examples of existing projects and applications involving both Education world and project guidelines ..

Action Item 2: find volunteers for :

- website

- contacts

- development

- define default owner for education project issues. Default proposed owner is user education ( Issue number ? FIXME )

Action item 3 : propose a new scheme for the website

Action item 4 : define rules for Schools visibility

Action item 5 : find resources

Suggestion : create a structure able to receive donations

Log of the Meeting

[15:00] <ericb2> Time for Meeting ?

[15:00] <peter13j> ericb2: Bon jour

[15:00] <louis_to> hi all

[15:00] <ericb2> peter13j: I'm sorry, my chineese is not enough good :/

[15:00] <Remaille> hi louis_to

[15:01] <ericb2> louis_to: Hi Louis

[15:01] <ericb2> @all, the wiki page for the IRC meetings is there :

[15:01] <peter13j> ericb2: No problem

[15:01] <ericb2> all logs will be available at :

[15:02] <ericb2> maintain these pages can be done by everybody. The idea is to allow people who cannot attend, to be informed

[15:02] <ericb2> + keep a trace about everything being discussed

[15:03] * louis_to is glad to see that the main page of the wiki is normal again

[15:03] <ericb2> Can we start ?

[15:03] <louis_to> yes

[15:03] * peter13j grees

[15:04] <ericb2> The agenda says : 1. Welcome people and devs joining Education project

[15:05] <ericb2> well, all people are welcome today :)

[15:05] <louis_to> :-)

[15:05] <peter13j> :)

[15:05] <Remaille> first half of point 1 : done :)

[15:05] <ericb2> I propose we proceed like that for every meeting: start with a welcome to newcomers

[15:06] <louis_to> agreed; nice friendly presentation

[15:07] <ericb2> Next point is Actions Items

[15:07] <ericb2> Action item 1 : define objectives for Education project

[15:08] <louis_to> okay....

[15:08] <ericb2> there is a proposal ( not too much changes with previous version) here :

[15:08] <louis_to> do people have objections to the proposal on the agenda?

[15:08] <Remaille> no

[15:09] <louis_to> are all agreed?

[15:09] <louis_to> (please indicate)

[15:09] <ericb2> I agree what is proposed, and this can be improved later -> +1 for me

[15:09] <Remaille> +1 so

[15:10] <louis_to> same for me, plus one

[15:10] <peter13j> +1

[15:11] <ericb2> next

[15:11] <ericb2> Action Item 2: find volunteers

[15:11] <louis_to> I think the website bit is really important

[15:11] <louis_to> i can suggest pinging the dev@website team

[15:12] <louis_to> and art and marketing teams

[15:12] <louis_to> and dev@native lang

[15:12] <louis_to> also, it could be a way for students to start now :-)

[15:12] <louis_to> OOo can include the website as well as the project, say

[15:13] <peter13j> I think a common call for volunteers at dev@openoffice would be feasible too

[15:13] <louis_to> what precisely needs to be done, though?

[15:14] <louis_to> (is interested in being precise for calls to action)

[15:14] <ericb2> something more attractive :)

[15:14] <louis_to> :-)

[15:14] <louis_to> ;who wants to own this action item?

[15:14] <ericb2> louis_to: I asked the page to be statisticed ( not sure of the word )

[15:15] <ericb2> issue 83437

[15:15] <IZBot> www DEFECT NEW P3 Follow stats

[15:15] <louis_to> :-)

[15:15] <louis_to> uhm.

[15:15] <louis_to> eric, that seems different

[15:15] <louis_to> that's to track hits to the page and is a collabnet issue or a Sun one, not improving the appearance of the page(s)

[15:16] <louis_to> Id' suggest a new issue focused on this

[15:16] <louis_to> or simply just ask someone to do it ...

[15:16] <louis_to> either one

[15:16] <ericb2> louis_to: I agree, this is orthogonal, but complementary

[15:16] <louis_to> agreed.

[15:16] <louis_to> so, new issue and does anyone want to own it?

[15:16] <ericb2> rbircher proposed to work on the website revamp

[15:16] <louis_to> cool!

[15:19] <louis_to> AI: rbircher to lead website dev (or ask him anyway) and others too ---and erci or louis issue call to action today for website dev interest to dev@ooo, nlc, marketing, website, art@,

[15:20] <ericb2> louis_to: you mean file an issue, as a task ?

[15:20] <louis_to> dunno. probably, as it will help rbircher and you and me

[15:20] <louis_to> and others can participate with it

[15:21] <louis_to> so, yes.

[15:21] <louis_to> we can decide now who will issue the call--I can do it, if you like--

[15:21] <ericb2> louis_to: please do if you want :)

[15:21] <louis_to> and we can contact rbircher on the list

[15:21] <louis_to> :-)

[15:21] <louis_to> okay, will do

[15:23] <louis_to> shall we move on , then?

[15:23] <ericb2> louis_to: you mean contact and development ?

[15:24] <louis_to> yes

[15:24] <ericb2> In the same Action Item (find volunteers), for contacts and developments, this is a bit more complicated, and I propose we share the work : we all are living on different countries/continents. Some can be contacts for US, other for Europa .. etc

[15:25] <ericb2> and when we have informations to be shared, we can use meeting and/or mailing lists of whatever way of communication for the forwarding

[15:25] <louis_to> agreed

[15:26] <louis_to> there is lots I need to share and don't really have a good way of doing it besides the list

[15:26] <louis_to> i can use this mode, too, but we all need to act...

[15:26] <ericb2> who is volunteer ?

[15:27] <louis_to> how do you mean?

[15:27] * ericb2 is volunteer to for France

[15:27] <louis_to> I can volunteer what I 've been doing and also try to compile it for others, too

[15:27] <ericb2> louis_to: exactly

[15:27] lgodard louis_to

[15:27] <ericb2> Remaille: you can help me

[15:27] * Remaille for Toulouse (SW of France)

[15:28] <louis_to> I travel all over th eworld but my focuses right now are North America and India

[15:28] <Remaille> yes

[15:28] <ericb2> Remaille: thanks :)

[15:28] <ericb2> peter13j:  ?

[15:28] <peter13j> I will ask Michael Huai, who is not present today I think ;)

[15:29] <ericb2> peter13j: thank you very much :)

[15:29] <ericb2> for development now

[15:29] <ericb2> it does mean :

[15:30] <ericb2> ( e.g. ) : welcome students and or teachers/profs or even company ..etc and be the intermediate with developers, when searching infos

[15:30] <ericb2> I have a recent exemple

[15:31] <ericb2> example sorry

[15:31] <ericb2> a French school asked for some new technology with shared boards

[15:31] <ericb2> and they finally found me. I'll try to be sort of bridge for them

[15:31] <louis_to> I thnk listing relevant technology is important...

[15:32] <louis_to> but the issue is synchronizing it with other pages

[15:32] <louis_to> and wouldn't it be better then to just list other pages?

[15:32] <ericb2> sorry phone

[15:34] * louis_to does other work until ericb2 returns

[15:34] * ericb2 is back

[15:34] <ericb2> louis_to: if this is Education objective, not a problem. Maybe an example would help to see better ?

[15:35] <ericb2> oops

[15:35] <louis_to> yes, please

[15:35] <louis_to> I'm just concerned about information architecture....

[15:35] <ericb2> s/if this is/ if this is not/

[15:35] <ericb2> louis_to: ok

[15:35] <ericb2> Remaille: opinion ?

[15:36] <ericb2> peter13j: same question ?

[15:36] <Remaille> that's ok for me

[15:36] <Remaille> but not only for developpment

[15:37] * peter13j is not sure he understands the question

[15:37] <Remaille> which is very very important of course, but I think that the edu project could propose to schools or uni maybe a special package of OOo

[15:37] <ericb2> peter13j: sometimes, we will receive sollicitations for tasks not exactly our skills

[15:38] <Remaille> eg in Brest, the IT admins give a OOo bundle with OOo and useful plugins, gallery for education

[15:38] <ericb2> peter13j: and -if I'm not too wrong- louis_to asked if it could be possible to add informations about other parts of project

[15:38] <Remaille> OOo edu project could be a part of it too

[15:38] <ericb2> issue 83698 has been created

[15:39] * peter13j does not know sollicitations and so doesn't my online dictionary

[15:39] <IZBot> education TASK NEW P3 notify lists of website improvement need for education

[15:39] <Remaille> as I said on my former post on the list.

[15:40] <peter13j> ericb2: Ah, I see. That's even desirable I think

[15:41] <louis_to> I guess, to restate, that my only concern is putting technology (code) on Education that though it is useufl for education, may also be considered an extension; and that others may also emulate us

[15:41] <louis_to> and thus the informational architecture gets confused

[15:41] <ericb2> louis_to: let me read again

[15:41] <louis_to> sure

[15:41] <ericb2> louis_to: extensions is another project :)

[15:42] <louis_to> yes, I know, but it is *the* home of extensions

[15:42] <louis_to> (or rather

[15:42] <louis_to> but you see my point, I am sure

[15:42] <louis_to> hence, I favour links to this or that url

[15:43] <louis_to> and we keep the actual code elsehwere

[15:43] <louis_to> but I am open to persuasion :-)

[15:44] <ericb2> louis_to: is it possible to wait a bit and start witout a link

[15:44] <ericb2> louis_to: I'd like to think more about that

[15:44] <louis_to> let's wait, then. I have bad experience on OOo with confusing architecture. :-(

[15:45] <louis_to> and am now always concerned about what will happen years from now...

[15:46] <ericb2> yes. the point is : do slowly, but correctly ;)

[15:47] <louis_to> agreed

[15:48] <louis_to> shall we postpone conclusion (table it) and go on to the next item?

[15:48] <ericb2> agreed

[15:49] <ericb2> Next actio item is : define default owner for education project issues

[15:49] <ericb2> any volunteer ?

[15:50] <peter13j> The alias is OK as long it is sure somebody cares it

[15:50] <louis_to> I think it goes to me

[15:50] <ericb2> peter13j: on mac osx port, macport is me :)

[15:50] <louis_to> at least I've received them all and as the owner of the project, it logically (they) go to me

[15:50] <louis_to> if eric wants to take on the burden, that's fine; it's not too taxing...

[15:50] <louis_to> ... so far

[15:51] <ericb2> louis_to: you mean I'm candidate ?

[15:51] <louis_to> sure :-)

[15:51] <ericb2> louis_to: not exactly

[15:51] <ericb2> louis_to: what I wanted to say is :

[15:51] <louis_to> essentially it's you, me, or any other person with developer access to the site

[15:52] <louis_to> ideally a project owner for this kind of issue, where vising mail lists might also be required

[15:52] <ericb2> louis_to: ok, then put me as default owner or you. I'd add : with a default owner, everyone can choose in his preferences, to follow any issue assigned to education

[15:52] <ericb2> this is exactly what is made on Mac OS X port for maport user

[15:53] <louis_to> k

[15:53] <ericb2> every time one issue is assigned to macport, several people receive the mail

[15:53] <ericb2> and once someone wants to take the issue over, just reassign means: someone works on it

[15:53] <louis_to> I'l put you as default issue owner for now, as you are more clearly engaged in mving the project and i am more involved in contacts and ambassador work. is that okay,then?

[15:54] <ericb2> louis_to: ok, and if someone else is volunteer, we can change. not a problem :)

[15:54] <louis_to> yes.

[15:54] <louis_to> it's very easy to do

[15:55] <ericb2> Next point :

[15:55] <ericb2> Action item 3 : propose a new scheme for the website

[15:55] <ericb2> I propose to postpone ( dupe with previous AI à

[15:56] <peter13j> ... and it's hard to present a website scheme in IRC I think ;)

[15:56] <ericb2> peter13j: lol :)

[15:56] <louis_to> can we also ask rbircher to help with this and discuss it then on the mail list?

[15:56] <ericb2> peter13j: in fact, we use to give a link

[15:56] lgodard louis_to

[15:56] <ericb2> louis_to: sure

[15:56] <peter13j> ericb2: Of course

[15:57] <ericb2> Next point :

[15:57] <ericb2> Action item 4 : define rules for Schools visibility

[15:57] <ericb2> Important imho

[15:57] <louis_to> yes, but could be difficult

[15:57] <peter13j> want does this exactly mean?

[15:58] <Remaille> yes

[15:58] <ericb2> I'll explain

[15:58] <ericb2> from my side, I'm in touch with utbm ( http:/ ) communication department

[15:58] <ericb2> they can help us : provide bandwidth, sponsor ..etc

[15:59] <ericb2> but in return, they will ask some visibility. e.g. : a logo, visible or something

[15:59] <louis_to> ah

[15:59] <louis_to> uhm.

[15:59] <ericb2> other schools can help this way, or some administrations

[15:59] <ericb2> the point is : we need resources

[15:59] <louis_to> what we do on

[15:59] <peter13j> For me it's no problem for organizations that are non-profit ones

[15:59] <louis_to> is just list the school with the school graphics, if they want

[15:59] <ericb2> peter13j: good point !

[16:00] <louis_to> Id' be happy to move that list to the list and include graphics

[16:00] <louis_to> but peter13j's point is good; and we can then simply state as much

[16:00] <ericb2> louis_to: the link is broken

[16:00] <louis_to> ie, for profit/ nonprofit

[16:00] lgodard louis_to

[16:00] <louis_to> (probably me)

[16:00] <ericb2> louis_to: +1

[16:00] <louis_to>

[16:01] <ericb2> louis_to: these links would really be better on Education project ;)

[16:01] <louis_to> and the secondary one....

[16:01] <louis_to> ericb2; yes. that's what I mean

[16:02] <louis_to> they are not relevant anyway, as we now uee Major Deployemnts instead

[16:02] <louis_to> much easier to maintain -

[16:02] <ericb2> louis_to: we could provide time limited visibility too

[16:02] <louis_to>

[16:03] <louis_to> this one was the early start of the education project and also the Major Deployments

[16:03] <louis_to> and it shoudl be totally moved to education (or just junked)

[16:04] <ericb2> louis_to: ok

[16:05] <louis_to> AI: louis to move education/univs to education (or reasonable elements, not sure which; we can reference it anyway)

[16:07] <ericb2> louis_to: I think an issue is the right way for that change

[16:07] <louis_to> yes, which is why I'm not leaping to do it right now :-)

[16:07] <louis_to> it's a totally dead "project"; I couldn't even recall the url :-)

[16:09] <louis_to> btw, I have to be leaving soon

[16:10] <ericb2> louis_to: have you 3 minutes ?

[16:10] <louis_to> yes.

[16:10] <ericb2> I'd like to give some infos about : Action item 5 : find resources

[16:10] <louis_to> okay

[16:10] <ericb2> from my side, I have in mind to create a structure able to receive donations

[16:11] <ericb2> and I think this is the most simple way to receive help

[16:11] <Remaille> good idea

[16:11] <ericb2> Remaille: I have prepared something btw

[16:11] <ericb2> louis_to: I'll provide more infos newt week

[16:11] <Remaille> especially because in most of the schools I know  : OOo is chosen because it is free

[16:12] <Remaille> as in free beer ;-)

[16:12] <Remaille> ok ericb2

[16:12] <ericb2> last info: I'll attend Educatice Expo (Paris ) this week, and I'll meet some Apple people + French Educatin people

[16:12] <ericb2> stay tuned :)

[16:12] lgodard louis_to

[16:12] <louis_to> eric, and others,

[16:12] <ericb2> louis_to: that's all the important infos I had to say

[16:12] <louis_to> I'm trying to persuade sun to devote some $$ fpr marketing OOo to students

[16:12] <Remaille> and this fondation is a good way o help them helping us ;)

[16:12] <louis_to> do you have any suggestions?

[16:13] <louis_to> ie, what might really work?

[16:13] <louis_to> I can hang on a little bit

[16:13] <ericb2> louis_to: my first reaquest is fund expenses for travels, or when attending events

[16:13] <louis_to> unfortunately, that's not a sun issue; that's OOo

[16:13] <ericb2> louis_to: for students, schools have resources, and Apple can help

[16:13] lgodard louis_to

[16:14] <ericb2> louis_to: I can wear a Sun Tshirt sometimes if needed :)

[16:14] * ericb2 hides

[16:14] <louis_to> Sun marketing woudl be thinking "ads" and "collateral" and things like, uhm, tshirts

[16:14] <louis_to>  :-)

[16:14] <ericb2> Last point : next meeting ?

[16:14] <Remaille> I think tha a school that used to spend thousand's on MSoffice products could give o OOo-edu

[16:14] <louis_to> but, for instance, targeted ads in school papers...

[16:15] <louis_to> sure..

[16:15] <ericb2> Remaille: i think so too, but we must be able to provide a receipt

[16:15] <Remaille> yes

[16:15] <ericb2> Remaille: else, this is not legal. Simply

[16:15] <ericb2> Next meeting : Friday 30th of November, same hour

[16:16] <ericb2> please confirm you are ok .. or not ok

[16:16] <peter13j> +1

[16:16] <Remaille> +1

[16:16] <ericb2> +1

[16:17] <ericb2> Ok end of meeting

[16:17] <ericb2> The log is available :

[16:18] <ericb2> bye all, and see you on the lists :)

[16:18] <Remaille> see you

[16:18] <peter13j> Bye all

[16:18] <louis_to> bye all, and thanks eric for initiating this!

[16:18] <louis_to> nice meeting all of you...

[16:18] <ericb2> louis_to: You're welcome :) thanks to you.

[16:18] <peter13j> :)

[16:19] * louis_to ( has left

[16:19] * ericb2 must go now. See you later

[16:19] * peter13j has quit ("Leaving.")

[16:20] * You have been marked as being away

[16:20] * Remaille has quit ()

Personal tools