Previous Education Meetings logs/January 2008/7th January
[13:59] <njeudy> helllllllooooooooooo :)
[14:00] <njeudy> rbircher: ping
[14:00] <rbircher> hello njeudy
[14:01] <rbircher> Website meeting?
[14:01] <njeudy> rbircher: it ok for you ?
[14:01] <rbircher> njeudy, yes
[14:01] <rbircher> We make it here in the channel?
[14:02] <njeudy> rbircher: as you wish ? or private ?
[14:02] <louis_to> hi all
[14:02] <louis_to> happy new year
[14:02] <njeudy> someone interrested to discuss on content an organisation of website ?
[14:03] <njeudy> hi louis :)
[14:03] <rbircher> Wath's the Point of the Website meeting
[14:04] <njeudy> rbircher: I think we need to discuss about content and who dis what ?
[14:04] <njeudy> s/dis/did
[14:04] <rbircher> I think, we talk here in the channel, so erveyone can flow the discussion
[14:05] <rbircher> njeudy, yes, but first, I like to talk about the tool page
[14:06] <njeudy> ok
[14:07] <rbircher> I have not the time to look into the cood
[14:07] <njeudy> rbircher: ask for your question
[14:07] <rbircher> code
[14:07] <njeudy> rbircher: I use the exts.com library
[14:08] <rbircher> you can shortly explain how it work?
[14:09] <njeudy> ok. For now it's simple: i create a grid (extjs object) with a filter (first line of each project).
[14:12] <rbircher> I think, this site will be good for the first time
[14:12] <njeudy> you see ?
[14:13] <rbircher> But we well create a Tool for a PHP MySQL Server
[14:14] <rbircher> that we can put on the services.openoffice.org part
[14:15] <rbircher> Wath do you think about?
[14:16] <louis_to> can we see example ?
[14:18] <rbircher> http://education.openoffice.org/test/
[14:19] <rbircher> http://education.openoffice.org/test/tools_index.html
[14:20] <njeudy> rbircher: I don't know, for me education.openoffice.org must only contains HTML and JS file, and file webservices, can connect through a repository in an other server .. services.openoffice.org or other :)
[14:21] <njeudy> I have a serveur that can be use to upload teacher files, doc etc ..
[14:21] <njeudy> with mysql and svn access for example ..
[14:22] <rbircher> You have enough traffic
[14:22] <louis_to> the only issues would be to have information about the mail lists/forums and ideally soemthing obvious for newbies how they can contribute.
[14:22] <louis_to> the layout is nice and clean
[14:23] <louis_to> and I just saw the info about lists: blue on black is Not obvious
[14:23] <louis_to> :--)
[14:23] <louis_to> but nice
[14:23] <louis_to> oh, en francais, je l'aime
[14:23] <rbircher> But the layout has a error
[14:23] <njeudy> rbircher: yes traffic illimited :)
[14:24] <njeudy> louis_to: i will correct blue on black :)
[14:24] <njeudy> rbircher: layout error ? where ?
[14:26] <rbircher> In one of my firefox
[14:26] <rbircher> The frame is to large
[14:26] <njeudy> rbircher: wich frame ? can yu give be the id ?
[14:27] <rbircher> http://education.openoffice.org/test/tools_index.html
[14:27] <njeudy> wich frame is to big ? can you take a screenshot ?
[14:28] <rbircher> This one who count the tools
[14:29] <sankarshan> There's a small typo on the top of the page : s/Projet/Project
[14:29] <sankarshan> :)
[14:30] <rbircher> njeudy, It's not in all Gecko Browsers
[14:30] <njeudy> sankarshan: I don't see Projet in page? just project ?
[14:31] <sankarshan> Mission of the Education projet <--
[14:31] <njeudy> ah ok i missed it :)
[14:32] <njeudy> rbircher: if you can send me a screenshot I will try to correct it :) I tested it on firefox 1.5 and 2.0 , and will try with firefox 3beta
[14:33] <rbircher> With 1.5 under Windows its Ok
[14:33] <njeudy> With 1.5 under linux too :)
[14:33] <rbircher> With a preversion from 3.0 under Mac, I have a problem
[14:34] <njeudy> I mean, browser without javascipt enable will see nothing in place of grid .. ..
[14:34] <njeudy> rbircher: I will try with firefox 3 :) possible bug of firefox ? ;)
[14:35] <rbircher> Savari has the same problem
[14:35] <njeudy> somone can try with ie5.5 to see if png are ok ?
[14:35] <njeudy> rbircher: arg .. so it a bug of me :)
[14:36] <njeudy> rbircher: i will install firefox 3 to see where is the problem ok ?
[14:36] <rbircher> I think, you forget to close a tag or so
[14:37] <njeudy> rbircher: on the two pages ? index and tools ?
[14:38] <rbircher> Looks lonly on tools
[14:39] <rbircher> Ok, but we will find the bug
[14:40] <rbircher> next topic
[14:40] <rbircher> ?
[14:40] <njeudy> rbircher: so we have to decide what to put in 3 boxes
[14:41] <sankarshan> A question please : what are the boxes meant to be ? Placeholder for static or dynamic information ... ?
[14:41] <rbircher> I don't know, wath we can put into
[14:41] <njeudy> I think one for teachers with join the project,documents repository, extensions repository, and help link
[14:42] <njeudy> sankarshan: for me it'is to have direct access to content we need, group by function (teacher, developper, other for example)
[14:43] <njeudy> one for developper with TODO, guide for developping OOo extension ...
[14:43] * sankarshan muses if it would be a good idea to change on a quarterly basis the content of each of the boxes to point to one of the OO.o projects and subprojects thus emphasizing that this project is a gateway towards mentoring for contribution to existing projects
[14:43] <njeudy> one for The team with who we are, contact us ... ?
[14:44] <njeudy> sankarshan: I did not understand ..
[14:44] <rbircher> We have not a central adres njeudy
[14:45] <rbircher> only the mailing list
[14:45] <sankarshan> Umm.. I was thinking about the fact that the Education Project aims to help potential contributors find their interest and place to contribute within OO.o. So is it a good idea to use the 3 boxes (or 1 of them) to point to a project and this pointer would be changed regularly. The box will also have a "Read More ways to join" to provide a list for other projects not highlighted during that quarter/month etc
[14:47] <rbircher> sankarshan, ah you mean a workarea?
[14:47] <sankarshan> rbircher: Not really a work area, I guess I would explain more precisely on mail. I have to leave for $HOME now...perhaps I could mail to the list ? Would that be alright ?
[14:48] <rbircher> sankarshan, ok, thets a good idea
[14:48] <njeudy> ok for me
[14:49] <sankarshan> Thank you ...
[14:49] <sankarshan> :)
[14:49] <sankarshan> Have a nice day
[14:49] <rbircher> you too
[14:49] * sankarshan has quit ("Are you sure you want to quit this channel (Cancel/Ok) ?")
[14:50] <rbircher> For me its important, to have same news on the startpage
[14:53] <njeudy> same news ?
[14:53] <rbircher> Else we can we can ramove the boxes for first, and add later
[14:54] <rbircher> About the project
[14:55] <njeudy> rbircher: if you want, we also can begin without boxes and add them if we use it :)
[14:55] <rbircher> Why not
[14:55] <rbircher> + 1 from me
[14:56] <njeudy> I will comment the bloc and active it if we need
[14:56] <njeudy> What do we write on the first page ?
[14:57] <rbircher> Mission Statemande
[14:57] <njeudy> I think it would be interesseting to have the 5 last blog acticles ..
[14:58] <njeudy> in news section, and use blog of education project for announce ?
[14:58] <rbircher> maybe a little bit bigger then now
[14:58] <njeudy> rbircher: juste title of the five last artcile :) with link :)
[15:01] <rbircher> We will make now the Start page
[15:01] <rbircher> finish
[15:03] <rbircher> And then, we ask next education meeting, if anyone has more ideas
[15:03] <rbircher> or we ask on the mailing list
[15:04] <njeudy> rbircher: ok what you want to add on start page ?
[15:04] <njeudy> have you an idea of the content ?
[15:07] <njeudy> rbircher: I think we need Ã wbeaster contact email adresse for people who find a bug .. :)
[15:07] <njeudy> wbeaster/webmaster :)
[15:08] <njeudy> rbircher: We need to explain clearly what are the goals of the project (dev, files sharing for teachers etc ..)
[15:10] <njeudy> for file sharing we need Ã very quick access to file search
[15:11] <njeudy> and I think for developpers we need quick access to "what to do" and "what is done" and "what is in progress"
[15:11] <njeudy> on the first page :)
[15:12] <njeudy> what do you think about a first page like this:
[15:12] <njeudy> 3 frames: left and center (with to pane for center -> up and down)
[15:13] <njeudy> in left we have next meeting, the teamn, and title of the 5 last blog article, on to of center frame we have the goals and bottom we have 2 div, one for teacher, one for developpers
[15:14] <njeudy> and then quick acces for developpers and for teachers .?
[15:14] <njeudy> you see ?
[15:15] <njeudy> It would be very interressing to chose one color for eacher section (teachers and developpers) and keep it on the site ..
[15:19] <njeudy> rbircher: are you here ?
[15:19] <rbircher> We well add a Teampage
[15:19] <rbircher> have a look on the webconcept on the wiki
[15:19] <njeudy> rbircher: yes for team page, verys simple, photo, name and smal description ..
[15:21] <rbircher> No, i think, everyone can have a profil with same more informations
[15:22] <njeudy> rbircher: ? so we need a database for team, and a form ,
[15:22] <njeudy> ?
[15:23] <rbircher> No, we will create it manualy
[15:23] <njeudy> Top : for Teachers and Students Middle : Tools Bottom : for Developers <- website concept wiki: I think tools is redundant, because in teacher section we will have tools for teacher and in developpers we will have developpers tools :)
[15:24] <rbircher> You talk about the startpage now?
[15:25] <njeudy> rbircher: yes
[15:28] <rbircher> I think, this will be good yes
[15:30] <njeudy> rbircher: so I will do the first final design today :) and then we can add content (texte, link ..)
[15:32] <rbircher> A question the header picture "education" is a png format?
[15:32] <njeudy> rbircher: I have it in png and gif :) this is the png one that is used actually ..
[15:32] <rbircher> Because iE 6 have a Problem with it
[15:32] <njeudy> and I have a small css trick to be ok with ie5.5 normaly ..
[15:33] <njeudy> rbircher: which probleme ?
[15:33] <rbircher> can't show it I think
[15:34] <rbircher> White surface
[15:35] <njeudy> rbircher: can you reload the page ?
[15:35] <njeudy> rbircher: can you send me screenshot ?
[15:38] <rbircher> Now its ok, but wrong position; maybe box modell bug
[15:40] <rbircher> but I will work on the crossbrowser compatibility
[15:45] <rbircher> Ok, I see, IE has a bigger problem with the site
[15:45] <rbircher> mainly with the Tool Site
[15:53] <njeudy> hum .. what bigger problem ?
[15:54] <njeudy> ok I see .. very big frame on center ...
[15:56] <rbircher> Thats the same problem wich in Firefox 3, Safari etc.
[15:56] <rbircher> but in IE 6 I have no scrolbar in the frame :-(
[15:57] <njeudy> Ok, so i check this ..
[16:00] <rbircher> sorry, I'm QA ler, I see all ;-)
[16:01] <rbircher> And You see the wrong position of the education Title?
[16:08] <njeudy> rbircher: I see the probleme, I use Css and div to place object, but collabnet use Table to encapsulate it ..
[16:08] <njeudy> and i don-t understand min-width param ;(
[16:09] <njeudy> have you a tools to check css and js on ie ?
[16:15] <rbircher> no, only manualy
[16:16] <rbircher> min-width is the minimal width for a object
[16:17] <njeudy> rbircher: yes but ie6 an ie 5.5 don't apply it !! :)
[16:20] <rbircher> njeudy, you are right
[16:22] <rbircher> you most use a fixe width
[16:24] <njeudy> can you test again tool page?
[16:25] <njeudy> I change png to gif, and limit grid width :)
[16:25] <rbircher> yes, moment
[16:30] <rbircher> Looks fine I think
[16:31] <rbircher> But I found a bug in Safari ;-)
[16:31] <njeudy> just center the grid and it will be good ;)
[16:32] <rbircher> Have Apple a Issue Tracker?
[16:33] <njeudy> can you give me the bug ?
[16:33] <rbircher> No, thats a Software bug from Safari
[16:44] <njeudy> ok :) cool