Previous Education Meetings logs/January 2008/4th January

From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

[14:58] <ericb2> Let's start ?

[14:59] <lgodard> tools for teachers may interrest other categories

[14:59] <rbircher> Yes, meeting time

[14:59] * lgodard goes back in reading mode

[14:59] <ericb2> Agenda for 4th of January 2008 meeting

[14:59] <ericb2> 1. Welcome people and devs joining Education project

[14:59] <ericb2> 2. Objectives for Education project, for the Year 2008

[14:59] <ericb2> 3. Website

[14:59] <ericb2> 4. Education Team

[14:59] <ericb2> 5. Misc

[15:00] * ericb2 sees new people on the channel, and they are invited to present themselves :)

[15:00] * asrail ( has joined

[15:00] <ericb2> and Happy New Year 2008 to all !!

[15:00] <asrail> happy new year

[15:00] <rbircher> Yes, happy new year et all

[15:01] <ericb2> asrail: same for you :)

[15:01] <njeudy> happy new year ;)

[15:02] <ericb2> the first point is always dedicated to newcomers. Any around ?

[15:02] <sankarshan> in the event you haven't figured it out /me is sankarshan and sm|CPU and sm|test-box are the rest of the evil triplet

[15:02] sankarshan sm|CPU sm|test-box

[15:02] <ericb2> sankarshan: ;-)

[15:03] <asrail> If you count me, as it's the first time I could join the IRC meeting

[15:03] <ericb2> asrail: be welcome !

[15:03] <asrail> thanks

[15:03] <craigaa> greetings, all. I hope everyone had a joyful new year. Let's make 2008 even better.

[15:04] <ericb2> craigaa: be welcome too :-)

[15:04] <ericb2> craigaa , asrail : may I ask you to present yourself shortly ?

[15:04] <rbircher> We are a load today :-)

[15:05] <asrail> I'm Caio Tiago Oliveira, working on the OOo project mainly on QA, since 2004. I'm co-lead of the project, student at Federal University of Bahia, Brazil.

[15:05] <asrail> Computing Science student.

[15:06] <asrail> I've joined the educ project for a year or so, but it was quiet until some months ago.

[15:06] <craigaa> I am Craig Adams from Durban, South Africa. Have been involved with OOo for a long time now, but have been pretty quiet for a while. I am, amongst other things, the Marcon for ZA.

[15:08] <rbircher> Welcome to south Africa and to Brazil

[15:08] <ericb2> asrail craigaa : this is quite interesting. Education project is proud to see people like you there. thanks for joining, and be welcome !

[15:09] <asrail> ;)

[15:09] <ericb2> other new comers ?

[15:09] <ericb2> Next point ?

[15:09] <rbircher> Yes

[15:09] <ericb2> 2. Objectives for Education project, for the Year 2008

[15:10] <ericb2> This is a summary of

[15:10] <ericb2> and presented differently

[15:10] <ericb2> I proposed 5 points, from A to E

[15:10] <ericb2> A) Structure Education Project

[15:10] <ericb2> Create the association ( EducOOo )

[15:10] <ericb2> Comments: status are ok, and everything will be confirmed newt week (last review from Estelle Chardon needed). Some potential sponsors already asked

[15:11] <ericb2> Volunteer(s): ericb, other ?

[15:12] <ericb2> in the same point :

[15:12] <ericb2> Create Education Project Team

[15:12] <ericb2> Comments: started on the wiki. Some photos + informations are needed

[15:12] <ericb2> Volunteers: njeudy, rbircher ?

[15:12] <ericb2> Other volunteers ?

[15:13] <ericb2> other in the same point :

[15:13] <ericb2> Define the exact role of Education Project inside project, and create connexions with other projects

[15:13] <ericb2> Comments: Education project is a central project, because interacting with Marketing, Documentation, Extensions, User Experience and development projects

[15:13] <ericb2> Both work together and share/define precisely tasks and skills will be mandatory

[15:13] <ericb2> Volunteer(s) for the task :

[15:15] <njeudy> ericb2: i have to finish web site and project team before :)

[15:15] <ericb2> njeudy: ok. This is for 2008, say first half 2008. Is it ok ?

[15:15] <sankarshan> ericb2: and getting some buy-in in terms of specific tasks other such projects expect from this project and vice-versa

[15:16] * asrail_ ( has joined

[15:16] <ericb2> sankarshan: yes, cooperate

[15:16] sankarshan sm|CPU sm|test-box

[15:16] * asrail has quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.79 [SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre/2007120503]")

[15:16] <sankarshan> ahh that was the word I was looking for when I blogged

[15:16] * asrail_ is now known as asrail

[15:16] <ericb2> sankarshan: after all, we are a community ;)

[15:16] * ericb2 hides

[15:17] <ericb2> Second part is

[15:17] <sankarshan> ericb2: that's a loaded word as I learn each day ;)

[15:18] <ericb2> B) Improve Visibility

[15:18] <ericb2> Create a strong network of contacts with Education world

[15:18] <ericb2> Comments: a try is started with France. See

[15:19] <ericb2> This is a common task, mainly for french contributors, but all contributions are welcome

[15:19] <rbircher> In this point, France and China are pionier

[15:20] <ericb2> rbircher: indeed. But would be great to see the same for Germany, China ..etc

[15:20] <sankarshan> soon there will be India (/me detaches, goes $HOME and draws up plans of world domination)

[15:20] sankarshan sm|CPU sm|test-box

[15:20] * sankarshan has quit ("Are you sure you want to quit this channel (Cancel/Ok) ?")

[15:20] ChanServ craigaa

[15:20] <ericb2> Other point in B :

[15:20] <ericb2> Events: list of events ? + find resources

[15:20] <ericb2> Communicate: important mailing lists ( educ dedicated in several countries) common blog ( other people interested ? )

[15:20] <ericb2> Volunteer(s) for the task :

[15:21] <ericb2> events are important, to meet important people we cannot attend the rest of the year. Louis is a great ambassador for that btw

[15:21] <rbircher> We can create a press information?

[15:21] <ericb2> rbircher: why not

[15:22] <ericb2> rbircher: are you volunteer ?

[15:22] <craigaa> rbircher: what kind of press information are ou thinking of?

[15:22] <rbircher> I will talke abaut with florian

[15:22] * enri (n=limousin@ has joined

[15:23] <ericb2> rbircher: yes, marketing project will certainly help

[15:23] <asrail> I can't volunteer to organize the events, but I can help in the communication

[15:23] <ericb2> asrail: that"s ok for me

[15:24] <rbircher> enri hello

[15:24] <enri> hi to everyone

[15:24] <asrail> hi

[15:24] <rbircher> are you new too?

[15:24] * Remaille has quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))

[15:24] <enri> yes first time

[15:24] <ericb2> asrail: I have written your nick name as volunteer :-)

[15:24] <asrail> ok

[15:24] <ericb2> enri: be welcome on board :)

[15:24] <enri> I hope I can do something

[15:25] <ericb2> For the one who missed the begining, the log is :

[15:25] <rbircher> Welcome to the meeting. Who you living?

[15:25] <enri> thank you, I'm not great in writing english

[15:25] <ericb2> ( I'll complete is regularly )

[15:25] * Remaille ( has joined

[15:26] <enri> I'm from Italy teacher in secondary school

[15:27] <ericb2> enri: nice to see Italien join. Do you use in your courses ?

[15:27] <rbircher> enri, Nice, thanks for join use

[15:28] <rbircher> we can continue the meeting? ericb2

[15:28] <ericb2> rbircher: sure

[15:28] <ericb2> C) Analyse use in Education system

[15:28] <ericb2> Currently, there is:

[15:28] <ericb2> - low acceptance is all education systems

[15:28] <ericb2> - important issues for teachers to be fixed

[15:28] <ericb2> - intensive lobbying from Microsoft

[15:28] <ericb2> everybody is welcome to help

[15:29] <craigaa> not to mention their "educational software" grant programmes

[15:29] <enri> the same in italy

[15:29] <ericb2> craigaa enri yes , unfortunaly

[15:29] <Remaille> yes "éducate for the future"

[15:29] <Remaille> (in France)

[15:30] <ericb2> do people agree with first objectives for 2008 ?

[15:30] <njeudy> ericb2: can we have a good list of issue for teachers ?

[15:30] <Remaille> njeudy, in the wiki

[15:30] <ericb2> njeudy: in French ;

[15:31] <enri> thank you

[15:31] <rbircher> Can anyone translate in English

[15:31] <ericb2> rbircher: the same is there :

[15:31] <enri> that's a great idea

[15:31] <ericb2>

[15:31] <rbircher> ah ok ericb2

[15:32] <ericb2> rbircher: you're welcome :)

[15:32] <ericb2> sorry if the english version is not as complete as expected, but I did my best :)

[15:32] <ericb2> Next point ( D) is :

[15:32] <ericb2> D) Improve Content

[15:32] <ericb2> Provide:

[15:32] <ericb2> - pedagogical tools,

[15:32] <ericb2> - howtos for migrations,

[15:32] <ericb2> - installation in schools

[15:32] <ericb2> + ...

[15:32] <ericb2> Website : localize, add a database for tools, create links,

[15:32] <ericb2> Volunteer(s): njeudy, rbircher, other(s) ?

[15:33] <Remaille> me

[15:33] <Remaille> for the content

[15:33] <rbircher> Nice Remaille

[15:33] <ericb2> Remaille: I'll add you as volunteer :)

[15:33] <njeudy> what do yoou think of (javascript table) ?

[15:33] <rbircher> Only french or english too

[15:34] <ericb2> njeudy: next point

[15:34] <njeudy> oups :)

[15:34] <ericb2> I'll finish with E, about development part

[15:34] <ericb2> E) Development

[15:34] <ericb2> First half 2008 :

[15:34] <ericb2> Start the following tasks :

[15:34] <ericb2> Help fixing important issues (e.g. the sadly well known issue 972 ), write specs

[15:34] <ericb2> Propose applications ( bugs to be fixed, new features, write extensions ..etc)

[15:34] <ericb2> Find peers teacher/student

[15:34] <ericb2> Connect with other projects, and define a pool of devs and resources: create the role of "edu-contact" in other projects ? ( as dedicated developer )

[15:34] <ericb2> Separate tools learning and pure code learning

[15:34] <ericb2> Provide courses as school cases of applications or writing code ( existing cases)

[15:34] <ericb2> I'm volunteer, as developer

[15:35] <ericb2> this is the "code oriented " part

[15:35] <IZBot> Formula editor ENHANCEMENT STARTED P3 Alignment of baselines of formula and text in writer show_bug.cgi?id=972

[15:35] <Remaille> I'm volunteer, as promoter

[15:35] <ericb2> Remaille: ok, noticed :)

[15:35] <Remaille> especially i SW of france

[15:36] <ericb2> Second half 2008 : to be defined later

[15:36] <ericb2> That's all for 2008 objectives

[15:36] <ericb2> Sorry for being as long. Any questions ?

[15:36] <enri> I'm volunteer too as promoter, may be something else but just take time for understand

[15:37] <ericb2> enri: for D part or E  ?

[15:37] <enri> not now

[15:37] * louis_to ( has joined

[15:37] * ChanServ gives channel operator status to louis_to

[15:37] <asrail> ericb2: educ-role would be content developer or effectively a developer?

[15:37] <rbircher> ericb2, I think, thats a good roadmap

[15:37] <ericb2> enri: it is up to you

[15:37] <enri> d please

[15:37] <ericb2> asrail: developer, for code

[15:38] <craigaa> greetings louis_to

[15:38] <ericb2> asrail: e.g. trace, fix a bug, in a dedicated domain, skill ..

[15:38] <louis_to> hi craig, and happy new year!

[15:38] <craigaa> louis_to: 2u2

[15:38] <asrail> I got it

[15:38] <ericb2> louis_to: Happy New Year to you !

[15:39] <louis_to> hi eric, yes, same to you

[15:39] <louis_to> btw, all, lots of interesting discussions on the google summmer of code list on google

[15:39] <louis_to> relating to education in post-secondary institutions

[15:39] <rbircher> louis_to, happy new year to you

[15:39] <louis_to> we might see a lot of action soon

[15:39] <ericb2> louis_to: thanks for the information

[15:39] <louis_to> and, I have been in discussions (yesterday) again with Seneca

[15:40] <louis_to> I'll give an update later on today... vacation, alas, over with :-/

[15:40] >louis_to< : the begining of the meeting January_2008/4th_January

[15:40] <craigaa> :-)

[15:41] <ericb2> I propose to continue with Point 3 of the meeting, and discuss the pobjectives on the mailing list ( dev@educ )?

[15:41] <rbircher> +1

[15:42] <njeudy> ok

[15:42] * cemoi ( has joined

[15:42] <ericb2> Point 3 is website

[15:42] <ericb2> njeudy, rbircher ?

[15:42] <cemoi> hello

[15:43] <rbircher> I write a mail about the content

[15:43] <njeudy> I propose à solution (javascript table) to list project for exemple:

[15:43] <ericb2> cemoi: hello :)

[15:43] <njeudy> and i would like to now if it's good for you or not :)

[15:44] <cemoi> meeting time?

[15:44] >cemoi< c'est commence depuis 44 minutes

[15:44] <rbircher>

[15:45] <rbircher> With no answares

[15:46] <louis_to> rbircher: I am almost fully back, and so will be able to be more engagé. ...

[15:48] <asrail> njeudy: That javascript table is nice, except for being small

[15:48] <njeudy> rbircher: do you want that I create base html file you propose ?

[15:51] <Remaille> same as asrail

[15:51] <rbircher> For the database I planed a Service

[15:52] <asrail> We could put more content on the sides of that table and doesn't use a scroll for that

[15:52] <rbircher> Stefan will finde a place in the next time

[15:53] <enri> sorry i cannot answer before browsing the page

[15:54] <njeudy> asrail: I can made it bigger :)

[15:56] <enrica> see you

[15:56] * enrica (n=limousin@ has left

[15:56] <asrail> njeudy: Indeed. I suggest to use the white-space at left of the table for some content, to avoid much scrolling on the page

[15:57] <asrail> I'm sorry I'll have to leav soono

[15:57] <njeudy> asrail: yes i will do this :)

[15:58] <rbircher> njeudy, let us talk a other time only about the Website

[15:58] <rbircher> We most find a date for it

[15:59] <asrail> bye all

[15:59] * asrail has quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.79 [SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre/2007120503]")

[15:59] <rbircher> Ok, next point?

[15:59] <njeudy> ok

[16:00] <rbircher> ericb2,

[16:02] <njeudy> ericb2: is not here :)

[16:03] <njeudy> for the next point is for team presentation

[16:04] <rbircher> Yes

[16:06] <njeudy> I could be a good idea to have a web page with project team :)

[16:07] <rbircher> Is planed in the Webconcept

[16:07] * enri has quit ()

[16:11] <njeudy> rbircher: do you know the next point ?

[16:12] <rbircher> Misc

[16:12] <njeudy> for project team, we need some information to describe person ..

[16:15] <cemoi> What kind of information?

[16:16] * darkbalder (n=darkgnu@ has joined

[16:20] <rbircher> Next meeting?

[16:21] <rbircher> Next week, same Time same houer, same day

[16:21] <rbircher> Freyday 11th 14:00 UTC

Personal tools