Previous Education Meetings logs/January 2008/25th January

From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

[15:14] <ericb2> Agenda for 25th of January 2008 meeting

[15:14] <ericb2> 1. Welcome people and devs joining Education project

[15:14] <ericb2> 2. Organize a cycle of IRC presentations, mainly development oriented ( ericb )

[15:14] <ericb2> 3. Events

[15:14] <ericb2> Short agenda. Maybe somebody wants to add something ?

[15:15] <ericb2> 1 Welcome people and devs joining Education Project

[15:15] <ericb2> not sure new people joined this afternoon

[15:16] <ericb2> Next point ?

[15:18] <rbircher> Yes

[15:19] <ericb2> 2. Organize a cycle of IRC presentations, mainly development oriented

[15:19] <ericb2> The idea is organize weekly ( or not far ) IRC meetings

[15:19] <ericb2> about development

[15:20] <ericb2> Currently, I have 7 topics in mind, and I'm waiting for confirmation

[15:20] <ericb2> 3 guest have confirmed already, over 7

[15:20] <ericb2> The topics will be (the one I'm ~sure) :

[15:20] <ericb2> - Tinderboxes Guest : Christian Lohmaier

[15:21] <ericb2> - source code scheduling Guest: Martin Hollmichel

[15:21] <ericb2> - GSL project Guest: Phiipp Lohmann

[15:21] <ericb2> I'm waiting for 4 answers:

[15:21] <ericb2> - QA project Guest : Joost Andrea

[15:21] <ericb2> - Framework project Guest : Matthias Bauer

[15:21] <ericb2> - Extensions project Guest : Juergen Schmidt

[15:21] <ericb2> - UDK project Guest: Stephan Bergmann

[15:22] <ericb2> other people I'll ask are Calc ( Eike Rathke ) , Debug ( Caolan McNamara ), Bridges ( Daniel Boelztle ) ...

[15:22] <ericb2> The idea is :

[15:22] <ericb2> - code oriented

[15:22] <ericb2> - present the most important topics about development, 

[15:22] <ericb2> - use IRC ( for instance ) for the presentations 

[15:22] <ericb2> - the presentation will be 30 to 40 min followed by 20 min of questions, on friday afternoon (prefered)

[15:22] <ericb2> - provide the logs and propose them as archives for the community

[15:22] <ericb2> Questions ?

[15:25] <rbircher> Good idea

[15:26] <ericb2> no suggestion ?

[15:27] <sankarshan> If we make this into "classrooms", blog about it, I am sure we are going to get more folks interested

[15:27] <sankarshan> classrooms can generate living content which gets updated and the teachers and students bond

[15:27] <sankarshan> this is a simply nice ideas

[15:27] <ericb2> sankarshan: may I ask you to organize with me ?

[15:29] <sankarshan> ericb2: I would love to help

[15:29] <ericb2> sankarshan: accepted :)

[15:29] <ericb2> next point ?

[15:31] <sankarshan> nod

[15:33] <ericb2> 3. Events

[15:33] <ericb2> Next week: Solutions Linux Paris. I'll do a summary with Nicolas after

[15:33] <ericb2> not sure we will have too much things to say, because we did not organize too much

[15:34] <ericb2> other event will be later in the year. I'll provide more infos asap

[15:34] * ericb2 forgot to talk about FOSDEM

[15:34] <ericb2> I'll propose 2 presentations and a workshop

[15:35] <ericb2> under the condition my expenses will be funded ( not yet sure :/ )

[15:35] <ericb2> and my proposal accepted, I'll try to do some proselytism for Education Project

[15:35] <ericb2> rbircher: you told me about an event in Bern, right ?

[15:36] <rbircher> Yes

[15:36] <ericb2> rbircher: can you please present us more about it ?

[15:37] <rbircher> It's the OpenExpo in Bern

[15:38] <rbircher> It's integrated at the TopSoft. a expo for Buisness Software

[15:38] <ericb2> rbircher: is it possible to expose over there ?

[15:39] <ericb2> rbircher: e.g. do you know if Apple will attend ?

[15:39] <rbircher> Apple is not there

[15:40] <ericb2> rbircher: damage :/

[15:40] <ericb2> other points ?

[15:43] <sankarshan> ericb2: by when do you want to begin the presentation series ?

[15:43] sankarshan sm|CPU sm|test-box

[15:43] * sankarshan suggests we do a bit of publicity via blogs around it first so as to build expectations and generate demand

[15:43] <ericb2> sankarshan: asap, but we need some time, for organization. the idea is to create a wiki page and invite guests to propose a date in some list of dates

[15:44] <sankarshan> and create a template for the classrooms which would contain the table of contents, required reading etc etc

[15:44] <sankarshan> and perhaps slide if it is required

[15:44] * sankarshan would put a mail on this to the list by tomorrow if you don't object

[15:44] <ericb2> sankarshan: the first idea was: start in simplicity

[15:44] sankarshan sm|CPU sm|test-box

[15:45] <ericb2> sankarshan: I don't object, and I even appreciate you help me

[15:45] <ericb2> sankarshan: .. second, after some presentations, adapt and improve

[15:45] * sankarshan agrees - we start simple ... and gradually evolve to make it more polished

[15:46] <sankarshan> as Open Source says: release early, release often

[15:46] <ericb2> sankarshan: Martin Hollmichel suggested a virtual desktop area

[15:46] sankarshan sm|CPU sm|test-box

[15:46] <ericb2> sankarshan: I fear this is too complicated

[15:46] sankarshan sm|CPU sm|test-box

[15:47] <ericb2> sankarshan: Philipp Lohmann agreed on the principle

[15:47] <sankarshan> what we are discussing is just a genesis of an idea - it can have evolutions - let's discuss through the mailing list

[15:47] <ericb2> and suggested Herbert Duerr for fonts

[15:47] <ericb2> sankarshan: ok

[15:47] <sankarshan> even our ideas and concepts would be archived for further revision

[15:47] <ericb2> sankarshan: sure

[15:50] <ericb2> No other question ?

[15:52] <sankarshan> not from my side

[15:52] <sankarshan> :)

[15:53] * sankarshan is contemplating a good weekend

[15:54] <ericb2> ok, then next meeting next week, same hour  ?

[15:56] * ericb2 has changed the topic to: Welcome to project: The channel for the Education Project.

Website : Wiki page: Weekly IRC meetings are scheduled.

next meeting is scheduled for Friday 1st February 2008, 14:00 UTC or 15:00 CET (Paris Hamburg)

Personal tools