Previous Education Meetings logs/December 2007/21th December

From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

[15:01] <ericb2> Meeting time ?

[15:01] <njeudy> yes but I m on a server problem in same time :) so write njeudy If you need me :)

[15:02] <ericb2> njeudy: ok

[15:02] <ericb2> Agenda for 21th of December 2007 meeting

[15:02] <ericb2> 1. Welcome people and devs joining Education project

[15:02] <ericb2> 2. Strategy for Education project

[15:02] <ericb2> 3. Association for Education Project ( a point about )

[15:02] <ericb2> 4. Website (point about the new design)

[15:02] <ericb2> 5. Misc:

[15:02] <ericb2> Common blog for Education project

[15:02] <ericb2> FOSDEM 2008

[15:02] <ericb2> Last news

[15:02] <ericb2> Point 1: Welcome people and devs joining Education project

[15:02] <ericb2> New people/devs around ? Please present yourself :)

[15:03] <rbircher> we hyve any new who are here?

[15:03] >rbircher< : no idea. Some are just lurkers ;-)

[15:04] <rbircher> next point?

[15:04] <ericb2> 2. Strategy for Education project

[15:05] <ericb2> I had some times, and I thought a bit about the project. This is still work in progress:

[15:05] <ericb2>

[15:05] <ericb2> everything is based on two main ideas

[15:05] <rbircher> I will have a look o it

[15:06] <ericb2> and the main points are : Social Contract, Visibility, Content and Knowledge

[15:06] * ericb2 hopes things are now more clear about Educatin project

[15:06] <ericb2> Next point ?

[15:07] <njeudy> next point :)

[15:07] <ericb2> Point 3. Association for Education Project ( a point about )

[15:07] <rbircher> looks nice

[15:08] <ericb2> On monday afternoon, I met Estelle Chardon, specialist in Association laws

[15:08] <ericb2> she helped me to write the statuts of the french association to be created

[15:08] <ericb2> I think we are not far from final text

[15:09] <ericb2> Foundators members will be njeudy , Fred Diaz, froumi and ericb2 (me)

[15:09] <ericb2> everything should be done by the 10th of January 2008, + two or three weeks, the time things become official

[15:10] <ericb2> what is still mandatory: create a bank account, and some other little papers to fill in.

[15:10] <ericb2> time will be to find sponsors :-)

[15:11] <ericb2> that's all for now :)

[15:11] <ericb2> any questions ?

[15:11] <njeudy> ok, i will look for sponsor :)

[15:11] <ericb2> njeudy: nice :)

[15:11] <ericb2> Next point ?

[15:11] <rbircher> I switzerland, i will find a collaboration with other associasiens

[15:11] <rbircher> In

[15:13] <ericb2> rbircher: ok, thanks

[15:13] * ericb2 forgot to say: froumi proposed an existing association: SLIS

[15:13] <rbircher> next point

[15:13] <ericb2> but I fear things will be more difficult with it

[15:14] <ericb2> The URL :

[15:14] <ericb2> Next point

[15:15] <ericb2> 4. Website (point about the new design)

[15:15] * louis_to ( has joined

[15:15] * ChanServ gives channel operator status to louis_to

[15:15] <ericb2> njeudy: rbircher  ? Where are we with the new website ?

[15:16] <njeudy> I put proposal of new design on

[15:16] <ericb2>

[15:16] <njeudy> I have to add secondary page example

[15:17] <njeudy> And I have one question for contrib repository: can we make a dynamic page with Javascript that load a grid ?

[15:17] <ericb2> njeudy: no idea

[15:17] <njeudy> in this gris we could have: the name, an url of a wiki page of the contrib and an url to donwload the contrib

[15:18] <njeudy> I know hox to create this JS, but is there a good idea to have a js only page ?

[15:19] <ericb2> njeudy: is it possible to test .. and see ?

[15:19] <njeudy> s/gris/grid :)

[15:20] <njeudy> ericb2: ok I will do a small page with this .. :)

[15:20] <ericb2> njeudy: you can do whatever on the test page

[15:20] <njeudy> ericb2: ok i will do a proposal contrib page in js :)

[15:20] <ericb2> thank you !

[15:22] <rbircher> we most work now hard on the Content

[15:23] <njeudy> rbircher: yes we have to find what to write for the link (on top) and for the three box (on bottom)

[15:23] <njeudy> and add pages with the content we want :)

[15:23] <njeudy> (if the design is ok for all)

[15:23] <ericb2> the design is ok for me

[15:23] <ericb2> +1 from me

[15:24] <njeudy> ericb2: I work on team page

[15:24] <ericb2> njeudy: ahh that's a good idea too !

[15:24] <njeudy> I think we will need for all membre that want: a photo (login.jpg) and and description in XML (login.xml )

[15:25] <njeudy> and with this, i can create a page :)

[15:25] <ericb2> njeudy: can you ask on the list, all people interested to send you everything ?

[15:25] <njeudy> in static (when i have a new member) or dynamic in js .. as you wish :)

[15:27] <ericb2> njeudy: ask on : Identify us , and give us a face :)

[15:27] <ericb2> s/ask/ please ask /

[15:27] <njeudy> ericb2: ok will do a template an exemple .. :)

[15:27] <ericb2> njeudy: +1

[15:29] <ericb2> Other infos or questions about new website ?

[15:31] <ericb2> Next point ?

[15:31] <rbircher> yes

[15:31] <ericb2> 5. Misc:

[15:31] <ericb2> Common blog for Education project

[15:31] <ericb2> FOSDEM 2008

[15:31] <ericb2> Last news

[15:32] <ericb2> First, I created a Common blog for Education project

[15:32] <ericb2>

[15:32] <ericb2> this blog is for all contributors interested to publy ( in english) infos abotu the Education project life, mainly development, but not only

[15:33] <rbircher> I think, it's not a ideal solution

[15:33] <ericb2> rbircher: why ?

[15:34] <ericb2> rbircher: I know this is not ideal, but waiting, this is something simple and easy to maintain

[15:34] <rbircher> We hav a load of things, wiki, webpage, mailing lists, and now a blog

[15:34] <ericb2> rbircher: what do you suggest instead ?

[15:34] <ericb2> rbircher: blog is for visibility. wiki for informations, website for static infos

[15:34] <ericb2> rbircher: mailing lists as archives

[15:35] <ericb2> rbircher: all tools are different, and have different skils

[15:35] <ericb2> skills

[15:35] <ericb2> rbircher: what do you propose instead ?

[15:36] <rbircher> Wat you will do with the blog?

[15:36] <rbircher> visibility?

[15:36] <ericb2> rbircher: yes, and allow everybody to publy when he does consider something is interesting

[15:37] <ericb2> rbircher: the amount of informations cannot be managed by one or two people only

[15:37] <rbircher> For the moment, ok

[15:38] <rbircher> But I think, its better, to add a good newssite on the website

[15:38] <ericb2> rbircher: magine chinese people blogging about what they do , me about some issue ( like the one for Maths, say issue 972 )

[15:38] rbircher Remaille

[15:38] <ericb2> s/magine/imagine/

[15:38] <ericb2> rbircher: the is the more easy way for all

[15:38] <ericb2> but I can be wrong

[15:39] <ericb2> other questions about common blog ?

[15:39] <rbircher> If you like visitors on a Website, you must hold it actualy

[15:40] <ericb2> rbircher: I'm not sure to understand

[15:41] <ericb2> rbircher: only trusted people will post

[15:41] <ericb2> rbircher: what do you fear with that ?

[15:41] <rbircher> You know, its very difficult for new defs, blog, wiki, mailing list blabla bla

[15:42] <ericb2> rbircher: this is nothing compared to source code :-)

[15:42] <rbircher> I know, the page its not easy to suport

[15:43] * sankarshan (n=sankarsh@fedora/sankarshan) has joined

[15:43] <ericb2> rbircher: can we experiment a bit first ?

[15:44] <ericb2> rbircher: I think we won't add new way of communication now, and we can start to work for the contents

[15:45] <ericb2> Next point ?

[15:45] <rbircher> I propose, to talk about on the mailing list ok?

[15:46] <ericb2> rbircher: well, I posted about the common blog some days ago

[15:46] <ericb2> rbircher: you can continue the thread

[15:46] <ericb2> rbircher: if you have something to propose, please, go ahead

[15:46] <rbircher> ok, I will do it

[15:47] <ericb2> rbircher: thanks

[15:47] <ericb2> Next point ?

[15:47] <rbircher> ok, next point

[15:47] <ericb2> FOSDEM 2008

[15:48] <ericb2> I proposed a lightning talk to present Education project, and it was refused, because will propose devrooms

[15:48] <ericb2> I asked to participate to devrooms, but no answer so far

[15:48] <ericb2> those devrooms seems to be Sun managed, Sun driven, and I have not a good feeling about that

[15:49] <ericb2> wait and see

[15:49] <ericb2> Last news now

[15:50] <ericb2> froumi posted a news on Linuxfr , and this helped us a lot to find a lot of new members

[15:50] <ericb2>

[15:51] <ericb2> with all the feedback we have on fr-educ mailing list, I started to work for an old issue. I'm in touch with devs, and we'll start the real

work early January [15:51] <njeudy> cool

[15:52] <ericb2> the Academic contacts ( France only) is a success: a lot of contributors, and feedback

[15:52] <ericb2> I'll continue this track, and I'll provide infos regularly

[15:53] <ericb2> other news

[15:53] <ericb2> I have created (using another template) a template for Education Project

[15:53] <ericb2> thus, people who write documentation for the project, should use it

[15:54] <ericb2>

[15:54] <ericb2> this is just the first try, and I'll improve it asap

[15:55] <ericb2> I forgot other news, sorry :)

[15:56] <ericb2> Questions ?

[15:56] * sankarshan has a news

[15:57] <sankarshan> there is a conference being planned at Pune, India : and I plan to do a "Contribute to OO.o through Education Project" workshop

[15:57] <ericb2> sankarshan: +1 that's a great idea

[15:58] * sankarshan is waiting on the organizing team (and the conference is in Feb anyway) for confirmation, but that's the plan.

[15:58] <ericb2> sankarshan: please keep us informed

[15:58] * sankarshan shall send a proposed to_be_covered topics to the mailing list

[15:59] <froumi> yop

[15:59] <ericb2> sankarshan: that's all right , thanks :)

[15:59] <ericb2> other news ?

[16:01] <ericb2> If not, before to give the URL for the log of the meeting, I'd like to decide together the next meeting date :)

[16:01] <froumi> hi every body

[16:01] <froumi> hi ericb2

[16:01] <froumi> ericb2: you cal me on fr chanel ?

[16:03] * ericb2 proposes Friday on 4th of January, same hour

[16:03] <ericb2> for the next meeting

[16:03] <ericb2> please confirm

[16:03] <njeudy> ok for me :)

[16:04] <ericb2> +1 for me

[16:05] <ericb2> other opinions about the next IRC meeting ?

[16:05] <ericb2> Waiting, the log is available :

[16:07] <ericb2> Ok, end of Meeting. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year to all of you !!

Personal tools