This is the logo for the Education project :
Author : Ben Bois ( ben at hooboo dot com )
- 1 What is Education project ?
- 2 The Idea
- 3 Our Mission
- 4 Objectives writing code together
- 5 The Benefits
- 6 OUR SPONSORS
- 7 PARTNERS are non profit Organisations
- 8 What can you do to help us ?
- 9 CONTRIBUTE
- 10 DONATE
- 11 SEARCH TOOLS about EDUCATION and OpenOffice.org
- 12 PROVIDE US EXPERTISE
- 13 Where start ?
What is Education project ?
In OpenOffice.org, everything is project. And all websites starts using the rule : http://$(project).OpenOffice.org
At this point in time, this is an incubator project. This means that we have just begun and there is a lot more to do before attaining the status of a Project.
... we need you !
The idea : create a strong bridge between Educational World and OpenOffice.org Project, leading to
- and progress for all
In 3 points
- Provide a place for OpenOffice.org users, in Education context: discuss about adapt OpenOffice.org to your pedagogy, your needs ..etc (all levels of Education are concerned )
- Provide and promote tools adapted to pedagogical use, around OpenOffice.org
- Write code together : we can teach you everything about OpenOffice.org code and how add your: just go ahead
Objectives writing code together
- welcome students
- propose them methodology ( find documentation)
- teach them (for basic knowledge and autonomy)
- work shops ( like the practice in ClassRoom )
- read and explain code together
- mentor students (drive them to the right solution, and raise their autonomy)
- project management and guidance
- work for synergy between professional world and university professors / teachers
- project setup
- start research and development oriented projects
Education Project Effort
Idea based on Efforts
- For the Teachers
- Keep the contact with the reality of Industrial Projects
- direct contacts with high level projects
- Share their knowledge with other Teachers and Professional
- For the Students
- Have some guidance in their project works is motivating
- Work directly with high level Professional developers is motivating
- They contribute for a real and exciting Project
- Visibility and credibility : good conributions, and open sourced code are a promise for a good job in the future
- Can valorize their experience
- The OpenOffice.org Project will ...
- win new developers, and contributors
- progress because new eyes means new visions, and new solutions
- contribute to a social effect: share the knowledge
- involve more professors and students to participate, and collaborate for OpenSource project
(any candidate ? :-) )
PARTNERS are non profit Organisations
If you are a school, and want to support us, please add you in the list :
University of Technology of Belfort Montebeliard : http://www.utbm.fr 
What can you do to help us ?
DO YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION ? WANT TO DO OR PROPOSE SOMETHING ?
Just do it !! ...and see below what fits at the best to your needs !
Student, Professor, Developer ( C++ , Objective-C , C, Python, everything website) , sponsor or volunteer, you certainly can help us, and feel welcome in Education project !!
With us, you can learn :
- how the source code for OpenOffice.org is organized so that you can develop effectively
- which tools are used in OpenOffice.org
- how to build OpenOffice.org for your Operating System
- how a new feature implementation is accepted and scheduled
- how the QA is managed
- how the component or module you want to understand and possibly contribute to functions
- what to do if you want to add something
- what to do if you want to create an extension
- how to define applications for your students adapted to OpenOffice.org
- how to become a Domain Developer for OpenOffice.org project
Last: we are interested to provide courses about OpenOffice.org. All suggestions are welcome !
Soon you'll be able to help the project by making individual or corporate donations to the project with the aim of furthering the development of infrastructure to sustain the project longevity.
SEARCH TOOLS about EDUCATION and OpenOffice.org
We do provide tools using OpenOffice.org and adapted to your pedagogy. Every time we can, we try to provide
PROVIDE US EXPERTISE
Are you using OpenOffice.org in your courses/studies ? Please :
- let us know which School you represent - what you did - provide us pedagogical methods adapted to teaching
Where start ?
JOIN THE PROJECT
Thanks to respect the steps below :
Go at http://education.openoffice.org <= exactly this site ...
If you don't have a login, create one is mandatory ( on top right)
Validate all the steps allowing to connect yourself to the Education Project ( confirm the subscription mail and so on )
Log you in with the password you have choosen,
=> Click on Membership, then on Request project membership / role
Finaly, click on "Submit Request" and wait for a project Lead to accept your pending request
That's it :-)
Just subscribe to email@example.com (highly advised) at : http://education.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList 
Archives are extremely important, and are usefull to retrieve something being discussed long time ago.
Fixed informations are on Education project website :  http://education.openoffice.org
You'll find : links for tools, links for exchange area FIXME ( add some of them )
Alive informations stand in our wiki :  http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Education_Project
Localized wiki pages :
French page :
Switzerland ( german at this time) :  http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Project_EDUCATION-ch
(other ) : TODO
Discuss with us !
We have an IRC channel and you can meet us for true:
Server is irc.freenode.net Channel is #education.openoffice.org
See you :-)
REGULAR IRC MEETINGS
We hold regular IRC meetings, and all logs are public.
You'll find them here : http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Previous_Education_Meetings_logs 
If you want to join, please have a look at : http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Education_IRC_meetings 
LINKS (summary )
- The main website
- The Wiki
- Mailing list
- Logs of previous Education IRC Meetings
- Education IRC meetings
- University of Technology of Belfort Montbeliard
- Incubator projects