Working with views
This section describes the use of the five views.
This is the main view for creating individual slides. Use this view to format and design and to add text, graphics, and animation effects.
To place a slide in the Slide Design area of the Normal view, click the slide thumbnail in the Slides pane or use the Navigator.
To select a slide in the Navigator, scroll down the list until you find it and then double-click it.
Outline view contains all the slides of the presentation in their numbered sequence. It shows topic titles, bulleted lists, and numbered lists for each slide in outline format. Only the text contained in the default text boxes in each slide is shown, so if your slide includes other text boxes or drawing objects, the text in these objects is not displayed. Slide names are also not included.
Outline view serves at least two purposes.
- Making changes in the text of a slide:
- You can add and delete the text in a slide just as you would in the Normal view.
- You can move the paragraphs of text in the selected slide up or down by using the up and down arrow buttons (Move Up or Move Down) on the Text Formatting toolbar.
- You can change the Outline Level for any of the paragraphs in a slide using the left and right arrow buttons (Promote or Demote).
- You can both move a paragraph and change its outline level using a combination of these four arrow buttons.
- Comparing the slides with your outline (if you have prepared one in advance). If you notice from your outline that another slide is needed, you can create it directly in the Outline view (pressing Enter when the cursor is on the first line of the slide) or you can change to the Normal view to create it, then return to Outline view to continue reviewing the slides against your outline.
If a slide is not in the correct sequence, you can move it to its proper place.
- In the slide pane, click the slide icon of the slide you are moving.
- Drag and drop it where you want it.
Use the Notes view to add notes to a slide.
- Click the Notes tab in the Workspace.
- Select the slide to which you want to add notes.
- Click the slide in the Slide pane, or
- Use the Previous Slide and Next Slide buttons to move to the desired slide in the Navigator.
- In the text box below the slide, click on the words Click to add notes and begin typing.
You can resize the Notes text box using the green resizing handles and move it by placing the pointer on the border, then clicking and dragging. To make changes in the text style, press the F11 key to open the Styles and Formatting window.
Slide Sorter view
Slide Sorter view contains all the slide thumbnails. Use this view to work with a group of slides or with only one slide.
Change the number of slide per row if desired.
- Check View > Toolbars > Slide View to make the Slide View toolbar visible.
- Adjust the number of slides (up to a maximum of 15).
- When you have adjusted the number of slide per row, click View > Toolbars > Slide View to remove this toolbar from view.
To move a slide in a presentation in the Slide Sorter:
- Click the slide. A thick black border is drawn around it.
- Drag and drop it to the location you want.
- As you move the slide, a black vertical line appears to one side of the slide.
- Drag the slide until this black vertical line is located where you want the slide to be moved.
To select a group of slides, use one of these methods:
- Use the Control (Ctrl) key: Click on the first slide and, while pressing Control, select the other desired slides.
- Use the Shift key: Click on the first slide, and while pressing the Shift key, click on the final slide in the group. This selects all of the other slides in between the first and the last.
- Use the mouse cursor: Click on the first slide to be selected. Hold down the left mouse button. Drag the cursor to the last slide thumbnail. A dashed outline of a rectangle forms as you drag the cursor through the slide thumbnails and a thick black border is drawn around the selected slides. Make sure the rectangle includes all the slides you want to select.
To move a group of slides:
- Select the group.
- Drag and drop the group to their new location. The same vertical black line appears to show you where the group of slides will go.
|Selection of a group of slides works in a rectangular fashion. Slides that do not fall within a rectangular area cannot be grouped.|
You can work with slides in the Slide Sorter view just as you can in the Slide pane. To make changes, right-click a slide and do the following using the pop-up menu:
- Add a new slide after the selected slide.
- Delete the selected slide.
- Change the slide layout.
- Change the slide transition.
- For one slide, click the slide to select it. Then add the desired transition.
- For more than one slide, select the group of slides and add the desired transition.
- Mark a slide as hidden. Hidden slides are not shown in the slide show.
- Copy or cut and paste a slide.
Handout view is for setting up the layout of your slide for a printed handout. Click the Handout tab in the workspace, then choose Layouts in the Tasks pane. Layout contains five choices: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, or 9 slides per page.
To print a handout:
- Select the slides using the Slide Sorter. (Use the steps listed in selecting a group of slides.)
- Select File > Print or press Control+P to open the Print dialog.
- Select Options in the bottom left corner of the Print dialog.
- Check Handouts in the Contents section, and then click OK.
- Click OK to close the Print dialog.
|Content on this page is licensed under the Creative Common Attribution 3.0 license (CC-BY).|