Finding more information
Numerous resources are available that provide help with writing macros. Use Help > OpenOffice.org Help to open the OOo help pages. The upper left corner of the OOo help system contains a drop-down list that determines which help set is displayed. To view the help for Basic, choose OpenOffice.org Basic from this list.
Many excellent macros are included with OOo. Use Tools > Macros > Organize Macros > OpenOffice.org Basic to open the Macro dialog. Expand the Tools library in the OpenOffice.org library container. Inspect the Debug module—some good examples include WritedbgInfo(document) and printdbgInfo(sheet).
The following links and references contain information regarding macro programming:
- http://user.services.openoffice.org (OOo forums, well supported)
- http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/module-ix.html (official IDL reference, here you'll find almost every command with a description)
- http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide (official OpenOffice.org BASIC Programming Guide)
- http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide (official OpenOffice.org Developers Guide; contains a detailed explanation)
- http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php (Andrew Pitonyak's macro page)
- http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.odt (numerous examples of working macros)
- http://www.pitonyak.org/book/ (Andrew Pitonyak wrote a book on macros)
- http://www.pitonyak.org/database/ (numerous macro examples using Base)
- http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-0439 (Sun’s book on macro programming—very well written and laid out; the OOo BASIC Programming Guide and the OOo Developers Guide are derived from this book)
Printed and eBook materials
The following books are available for purchase in both printed and eBook form from their publishers.
Andrew Pitonyak's OpenOffice.org Macros Explained. See http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm.
Dr. Mark Alexander Bain's Learn OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet Macro Programming. See http://www.packtpub.com/openoffice-ooobasic-calc-automation/book.
|Content on this page is licensed under the Creative Common Attribution 3.0 license (CC-BY).|