I manage an operations team with 12 engineers at Sun Microsystems which works for StarOffice and OpenOffice.org. The team includes 3 engineers for Build Environment, 2 Program Manager, 1 User Experience engineer and 7 QA engineers. The team is located in Hamburg, Germany. One small subtask for the team it to work on evaluation customer escalations for OOo and SO (sustaining). Especially one Program Manager works with the support team of Sun. The rest of the team works nearly all the time for and with the OOo community. The name of the team is (Sun like) "Build Enviromnent/QA Sustaining".
Who works in my team (some highlights for the OOo community)?
- Heiner Rechtien : technical lead for build environment
- Uwe Luebbers : regular member of the OOo Release Status Meeting and Program Manager for QA related tasks
- Frank Loehmann : project lead for UX project on OOo
- Stefan Balter : OOo team lead for QA of Writer
- Thorsten Martens : OOo team lead for QA of Framework
- Ivo Hinkelmann : responsible engineer for integrating the translation and building the L10N builds for general testing
In the past 6 years I was the manager of the Quality Assurance team for StarOffice/OpenOffice.org at Sun Microsystems. This team was part of the Operations Team for StarOffice/OpenOffice.org inside Sun. I started as tester for StarOffice in 1996. After short time I was responsible to integrate VCLTesttool in general testing process and started with writing test scripts for all OOo application. The first team I lead was the Automated Testing team inside the Quality Assurance. At the end 22 QA engineers worked in QA team.
In February 2009 a restructuring in the Operations team at Sun was done. All teams were mixed to get new synergies between different departments and "infiltrate" all parts of operations with QA knowledge.
The responsibilities in my team are to support the Build Environment and the needed tooling for the OpenOffice.org community, supporting (making) Quality Assurance for OpenOffice.org, supporting (making) User Experience tasks for OpenOffice.org, support the L10N teams with their translation work flow and to work on customer escalations for StarOffice and OpenOffice.org.
If you are interested in working with the community, please join the teams and visit their sites.
- Quality Assurance at OOo : http://qa.openoffice.org/
- Build Environment at OOo : http://tools.openoffice.org/
- User Experience at OOo : http://ux.openoffice.org/
Mail : thorstenziehm at openoffice.org