I just wanted to thank Jean Hollis Weber and whoever else created this wiki site. It's a great job, and I have linked to it from the Digital Tipping Point links page. 2005/12/20 Christian Einfeldt
Christian, I had nothing to do with setting up this wiki, though I'm flattered that you think I did. :-) When I have time, I'll be contributing to it. --Jean Hollis Weber
- 1 Suggestion for some re-organization
- 2 Spamming
- 3 Let us add XML and other file formats for upload<->download only
- 4 Unable to upload files
- 5 link to OpenOffice.org_Solutions?
- 6 Category Indexing
- 7 Example Base File
- 8 language template / box
- 9 Copyrights
- 10 Incorrect translations in the Welcome box
- 11 Dynamic Page List
- 12 Spamer?
Suggestion for some re-organization
Dudes. We -so- need a main page/everything else cleanup .. :) Looking at the Scribus wiki and the Mozilla Developer Center just makes me salivate. Currently the main page is more or less a link farm without much structure. How about adding some layout and thinking a bit more about entry points to different regions of the wiki/main site? We could probably initially borrow the MDC style sheet to get us started? (or design our own?) --KaiB 19:09, 26 March 2006 (CEST)
Just a little suggestion, do you guys think the current Wiki need a bit of cleanup and re-organization? I also contributed to the Scribus Wiki and I think the Scribus wiki-doc authors are doing a nice job of placing content in a well organized manner. -- Wily Yuen, Feb 13, 2006
- Reply to myself: if this is a good idea, give me a nod. I'll try to move things around a little and hope that I won't mess things up ;) ---- Wily Yuen, Feb 13, 2006
- Yes, it does. The Marketing section wants all of its pages named [[Marketing--pagename]], although they would interact better with the wiki software if they were [[Marketing/pagename]]. I've made a suggestion to switch this. Further organization should be done through the use of categories. Categories are very easy to use, just add the tag [[Category:XXXX]] to the page. I have done this for all of the marketing pages that I could find. Actually, if you view Marketing, you will see the template I created for marketing pages. The development section has a lot of miscellaneous pages. View Special:Uncategorized pages. Also, there are a number of pages that look like they are simply Wikipedia entries. I don't think they belong here. If we do have a glossary, it should be in a page like Glossary or List of OpenOffice.org-related terms. Contact me if you need help with creating templates, etc. --RealGrouchy 07:15, 21 February 2006 (CET)
- I'm admittedly coming in late on this, but then I only found the site earlier this week. I actually think that Marketing has sort of the right idea, except that is should be Marketing:pagename. That would, in effect, be claiming their own Namespace. Mediawiki does come with its own predefined namespaces, however custom namespaces can be defined as well. And I think both Marketing and Development would benefit from such. Possible benefits of having their own name space:
- Pages can be searched for and organised independently
- Feature separation is possible
- Background colors and other special formatting can be restricted to a specific project group.
Main Page Space
Development Page Space
Marketing Page Space
- Yet even as each project maintained its separate page formatting, the main body format would still be the same so as to maintain a common overall identity, even though we would now know which project we were looking at.
- --Kirk 00:46, 1 June 2006 (CEST)
- This point has also been discussed with Clayton Cornell in oooforum futures discussion, but probably the largest community, but we seem to forget that the largest untapped community who would benefit from this Wiki is not Developers or Marketing but the end users. Surely we should be integrating a lot more end-user orientated material and should restructure the Main_Page into more developer/user neutral into with subgroup main pages Main_Developer_Page, Main_User_Page, etc. TerryE 12:29, 22 August 2007 (CEST)
The user has been blocked. Thanks for the heads-up. --stx12 16:55, 25 March 2006 (CET)
Let us add XML and other file formats for upload<->download only
Hi! I have made a web page in my NLC project that uses data from a XML file. Now I have tried to put it on some open for user-editing page, like Wiki, so they could download it, edit it and upload without accessing CVS, using the Wiki and the effects would be seen in my NLC project page. But I am getting some "xml is a wrong file type for Wiki" message :( I think it is a very useless limitation that user can not upload any file type. I have tried some other wikis, like wikosource, wikimedia, wikibooks, and everywhere the same strange problem with uploading other various types. Let's be the first to get rid of unnatural limitations. Software that uses XML for writing files should allow users to edit XML pages through Wiki or in some other way. --Konrad 14:45, 2 April 2006 (CEST)
- Well I have found the needed functionality in "documents&files" section of the project, but still it would be great if uploading xml files would be available in Wiki --Konrad 15:00, 2 April 2006 (CEST)
Unable to upload files
Hello, Why are we not allowed to upload files on this wiki? I would like to upload 2 images. Thanks, Val1984 10:07, 28 April 2006 (CEST)
- uploads have been unintentionally disabled during the last upgrade. Give it a try now. --stx12 21:49, 2 May 2006 (CEST)
Would anyone object if I put a link on the main page for http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Solutions? This page is new and is currently not linked anywhere, basically making it impossible to find. Pending a re-org of the main page, I was thinking it might be good to put a link for that page under "Finding general OpenOffice.org user help".
- thanks for asking; that's fine with me, go ahead. The main page needs some serious work though...; --stx12 20:38, 10 May 2006 (CEST)
Hello, I'm trying to get the Category Index setup and have run into a question. For the moment I am inclined to subcategorize Writer, Calc, and Database under Documentation. I currently got Writer Issues placed under Writer in Documentation. But now I'm thinking the Issue Categories should be under Development instead. Any thoughts, guidance?--Kirk 20:27, 1 June 2006 (CEST)
- I agree that the "xxx issues" categories are related to Development. --stx12 14:28, 3 June 2006 (CEST)
Example Base File
There has recently been a discussion under way on the email@example.com mailing list regarding the production of an example Base database for contribution. It has been suggested to use this wikipedia as a resource for defining and developing this project. --DrewJensen 15:41, 9 June 2006 (CEST)
language template / box
Please add Bangla (bn) in the laguage template (or box) in the main page, since we've created our page bn.openoffice.org and almost localized 80% of the main page. Bangla in Bangla script বাংলা --mak 22:36, 12 September 2006 (CEST)
Incorrect translations in the Welcome box
Kudos for the great MediaWiki site. It might really be a good idea to talk with some native speakers about the welcome text in the Welcome box on the Main Page that includes the date and a welcome message in several languages. Spanish and German are both wrong. Spanish should be "Bienvenidos a OpenOffice.org" and German should be "Willkommen bei OpenOffice.org". I'm guessing the translations are from some template that is being pulled in since I can't figure out how/where to fix the problem.
Dynamic Page List
Your website is using a rather outdated version of a mediwiki extension named DynamicPageList. There is a new version with plenty of improved functionality available. Perhaps you may want to have a look? --Algorithmix 17:12, 20 February 2007 (CET)
Is Vilmis Spamer? Main_pege Changed by Vilmis. I restored Main_pege. However, a history was lost. There is the history on the following pages.
--M.Kamataki 09:08, 14 November 2007 (CET)