We know that many students are looking out for good coding opportunities in the summer, so the OpenOffice.org project is proud to announce the following programme.
Join the "OpenOffice.org Summer 2010 Internship"
- The "OpenOffice.org Summer 2010 Internship" will start on May 31 and will finish on October 31.
- It is designed to help students with their first (or second...) step in OpenOffice.org development
- You gain valuable skills, a useful cash bounty (see below) - and our users get some great new features which you have developed!
This internship programme follows on from the successful bug-bounty programmes and others that the project has organized in the past.
How to apply
- Email one of the members of the supervisor team, or meet them on IRC for a chat
- They will help you to find a mentor in the OpenOffice.org project (or mentor you themselves)
- If you haven't yet decided, make up your mind about what you want to do in OpenOffice.org, and discuss it with your mentor
- Get a "go" for your proposal and get coding!
- Note: numbers are limited, so if you are interested, find out more now!
The founding members of the supervisory team are Jürgen Schmidt, Mathias Bauer, and Svante Schubert (see domain developer). Other developers who take on the role of mentor will automatically be added to the team.
The tasks of this team are:
- Make sure that all students have a mentor
- Decide on which proposed projects are accepted
- Help to find solutions if any problems arise
- Help the mentors to decide about the quality of finished projects, in case of any doubt
Terms & Conditions
- The Programme is open to (student-)developers who can work full-time for a period of about 3 months on a project;
- Intended participants must contact the Supervisory Team to be allocated a mentor and have their project accepted;
- Participants have to comply with the usual OpenOffice.org guidelines, including signing of the SCA, as explained here, in the section "How to submit code to OpenOffice.org"
- Accepted projects and results will be listed on the wiki
- There will be a mid-term evaluations by mentors (supervisor or meeting);
- At the end of the project there will be a final evaluation;
- The success of participant is determined by mentor plus formal compliance with rules;
- In case of doubt, the participant and the mentor will contact the Supervisor team;
- The OpenOffice.org Project will award 4,000 EUR to each successfully finished project;
- Payments to the participant will be made immediately after the programme ends.
In the category ToDo, on the OpenOffice.org wiki, you can find many possible projects for completion during this OpenOffice.org Summer 2010 Internship! http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:To-Do
But of course you may propose one yourself, or ask developers on your favorite project's list.
~ OOo ~