From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
And this is what we want to do first:
- Create a "build helper", responsible for
- getting the source,
- getting prerequisites and pre-builds,
- configuring the sources, taking care of dependencies ...,
- and (optionally) building it.
- Add missing/useful configuration switches (e.g. for headless support).
- Re-factor according to needs (e.g. writer only etc.).
This "build helper" may be compared to the Linux kernels menuconfig / xconfig, first configure it extensively, ideally in a graphical way, than build it.