... by now OOo has been regarded as the only real alternative office suite, sometimes hard to build, often admired for its feature completeness, somewhat beaten because of the memory footprint, understood to have one of the most classical graphical user interfaces ever, loved to recover MS documents, and so on ...
The Modularization Project
Many words may be used for OOo, though small is not with them :-) OOo is a huge project, with lots of code and a more or less monolithic architecture.
It seems a hero (or five) is needed ... we (Cynthia, Xiuzhi, LiuTao, Ingo and I) want to move out to fill this position ...
... to Improve and Support Modularization of OOo.
The Goals are:
- Adapt the OOo source to enable (more) custom-tailor products.
- Support custom-tailor products in the build system by
- checking out what is needed only,
- building what is needed only,
- re-using intermediate or final deliverables.
- Enable pre-build intermediates and their usage.
Later on we may
- rework SCP to configure the sources more dynamically,
- provide pre-build intermediates to reduce build times for many,
- disentangle the OOo applications, and
- do even more ...