|Education project: the official site|
- 1 Welcome to the Education project !
- 2 The Education project Team
- 3 Short News from the subprojects
- 4 Education Project Effort
- 5 Todo
- 6 Events
- 7 Localisation projects
- 8 List of schools
- 9 Projects in progress
- 10 Volunteers to revamp the site
- 11 IRC channel
- 12 Courses
- 13 Whatever
Welcome to the Education project !
translate the welcome and add your locale !!
The Education project Team
If you have urgent questions, or need informations, please join us on our IRC chat channel.
Server is : irc.freenode.net Channel is #education.openoffice.org (english) Please remember the # See you on the IRC chat :-)
Or subscribe to the mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
Short News from the subprojects
This is the place to provide updates and news about projects under the Education Project. To create a news item simply set the project name in bold before the news content. Please write in English only and add the latest item over the last one.
(rbircher December 13th 2007) Project Switzerland We start searching people for a association in Switzerland
(rbircher December 10th 2007) Website: Nicolas Jeudy working on the layout
Education Project Effort
Idea based on Efforts
( Brainstorming in progress )
- Revamp http://education.openoffice.org
- Make the page static
- Organize the wiki page
- Create new entries : locales ? / tools ? / Success stories ? / Partners ?
- Resources : ask an entry for every school present on the site ? (annually ?)
- QA : define default owner for education project issues
- Be present and visible (please complete the list) :
- PCIE/EDCL : http://www.pcie.tm.fr/
- Recent Issues
1) Installation / Usability
- OpenOffice.org installation , mainly under Microsoft Windows, is problematic ( unique registration, ...etc)
- Installation in a rightless environment
Again, with MS Office (examples, precise case, writing of a guide avoiding issues, find the most known of them .. )
- formulas alignments
This is an incredibly well known and important default. Some migrations failed just because of this "detail".
See the sadly well known issue 972 , and referenced in IssueZilla since may 2001 (yes 2001 !) URL : http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=972
- Suggestions of amelioration
Use Maxima in OpenOffice.org ?
Partial answer : as soon as I'll have the answer to "how interface" OpenOffice.org and Application written in Lisp ( Maxima is written in Lisp ), I promise I'll take the task over.
Update: I got some infos from Eike Rathke and Kendy. Playing with fork() exec() wait() .. stay tuned.
Ericb 12:07, 25 December 2007 (CET)
- Success stories
Any positive success story of installation and /or use in your school, interests us.
Initiation to OpenOffice.org use
Be extremely careful is recommended, only the French Eductional system is described below
Which formations could concern OpenOffice.org ?
- type de formation : secondary, profesional formations ? - concerned courses: Maths ? Physics ? ( Other ? )
URL of reference : http://info.sio2.be/calcooo/index.php ( French, sorry )
Plan (translated from French ):
1. Introduction to a Spreadsheet use with OpenOffice.org (mise à jour 07/01/2006) 2. Use of Calc functions (last update 17/01/2006) 3. The alternative with the Spreadsheet (last update 12/01/2006) 4. Create diagrams using OpenOffice.org Calc 5. Improved study of Mathematical diagrams ( last update 16/05/2006) Share your opinion whith this course.
For every part, it could be interesting to define :
The relevant concerned programs
- the plan of the lesson
- the prerequisites of the lesson
- the objectives, well justified in the referential of the program
- the estimated time for the lesson
- Pedagogical notes creation
Target: create pedagogical notes for the existing tools, improving the role of OpenOffice.org :
Every teacher will certainly have a personal way, but to obtain something consistent, it will be to follow a common skeleton, everybody is invited to improve.
- The pedagogical frame of use: public / level
- the place in the progression,
- the time of the sequence..etc
- the place dans le referential of the program,
- limits .. (thanks to improve and complete the list)
- Mutualisation of documents : ADD A LICENSE FOR THE CONTENT
- Suggestions for academical correspondents
- recent the schools using OpenOffice.org ( write a list on the Wiki ? )
- inform people managing / to be aware of the project existence and invite them to join us (Education Project, email@example.com list)
- keep the list of known issues up to date , and define a list of priorities : we need to concentrate our efforts to the correction of such issues ! - participate, if possiblee, to events who can involve OpenOffice.org project in your academy - recent such events - recent existing tools and documents, who bring a value added the pedagogical interest OpenOffice.org to be used ( next step : put them on the site, for download, but define precisely how do that "before" ) - be visible
- RMLL 2008 (France, Mont de Marsan, probably 1st or 2nd week of July )
- Educatice ( France, Paris )
- Apple Expo (France, Paris)
- ParisExpo ( France, Paris) Paris Expo website
- Solutions Linux Expo (France, Paris)  and 
Most of the other important events should be referenced there : Site de L'etudiant
- AppleLiveExpo (Germany, Köln)
- OOoCon 2008 (supposed occurring in Europa, not sure .. )
- OpenExpo 2008 Bern ( Switzerland 12th-13th March )
- FOSDEM 2008
- WWDC (San Francisco)
- Mac World (San Francisco)
Below you will find all sub-projects of the main education project.
Those sub-projects are a good place to find :
- resources in your own language,
- documentation related to your educational system
- a good starting point to build a bridge between OOo development and education in your own country.
- that you bring into it !
Join us :
fr : Education Project in French
For French speaking countries : fr-EDUCATION
Switzerland project ( german only at this time ) : Project_EDUCATION-ch
List of schools
- Define tabs for every country ?
- Define arrays for all schools, including Schools logos, contacts for every ... etc ?
French schools already contacted :
- INSA Lyon INSA Lyon
- INSA Toulouse INSA Toulouse
- IUT Blagnac IUT Blagnac
- ENSEEIHT ENSEEIHT
Work in progress (this week) :
- UTBM / UTBM
please complete the list, and define/add contacts
Projects in progress
Volunteers to revamp the site
- Raphael Bircher
- Nicolas JEUDY
Proposal : have regular IRC meetings ?
First IRC meeting scheduled for the week 12th - 17th of November 2007
server : irc.freenode.net Channel : #education.openoffice.org
Register the channel : Chanserv is set as guard , mode secure On, Topiclock is on Define operators / tasks / Action Items
+ complete the list on OpenOffice.org wiki page
This section has been moved to : Education Courses
FIXME : complete :-)