Documentation/OOoAuthors User Manual/Writer Guide/Modifying styles
OpenOffice.org provides several ways to modify styles:
- Change a style using the Style dialog box
- Update a style from a selection
- Use AutoUpdate (paragraph and frame styles only)
- Load or copy styles from another document or template
You can change both predefined and custom (user-created) styles.
Changing a style using the Style dialog box
To change an existing style using the Style dialog box, right-click on the style in the Styles and Formatting window and select Modify from the pop-up menu.
The dialog box displayed depends on the type of style selected. Below is an example of the dialog box for a paragraph style. Each style's dialog box has several tabs. Some properties on these dialog boxes are described later in this chapter.
Updating a style from a selection
Let's use paragraph styles as an example.
- Open the Styles and Formatting window.
- Create a new paragraph (or modify an existing paragraph) and edit all the properties you want to go into the style (such as indentation, font properties, alignment, among others).
- Select the paragraph by clicking anywhere in the paragraph.
- In the Styles and Formatting window, select the style you want to update (single-click, not double-click) and then click on the New Style from Selection icon and select Update Style.
|Make sure that there are unique properties in this paragraph. For example, if there are two different font sizes or font styles, that particular property will remain the same as before.|
The procedure to update another type of style (like character, page, or frame styles) is the same. Just select the item in question, select the style you want to update, and choose Update Style.
Using AutoUpdate (paragraph and frame styles only)
If the AutoUpdate checkbox is selected on the Organizer page of the Paragraph Style or Frame Style dialog box, applying direct formatting to a paragraph or frame using this style in your document automatically updates the style itself.
Loading or copying styles from another document or template
You can update styles by copying or loading them from a template or another document. See Copying and moving styles.
|Content on this page is licensed under the Creative Common Attribution 3.0 license (CC-BY).|