Documentation/How Tos/Calc: SLOPE function
From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Fits a straight line to data using linear regression and returns its slope.
- yvalues and xvalues are single row or column ranges specifying points in a set of data. yvalues and xvalues must be the same size.
- SLOPE fits a straight line through these data points, using the linear regression method (least squares). It then returns the slope of that line.
- The equation of a straight line may be given as y = a + bx. The linear regression method calculates:
- b is the slope, returned by this function.
- Advanced topic:
- The parameters xvalues and yvalues are always evaluated as array formulas.
- where the x values in A2:A6 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and the y values in B2:B6 are 2, 4, 6, 8, 11 returns 2.2. The equation of the straight line found is very nearly y = 2x - thus the slope is very nearly (but not quite) 2.