Documentation/How Tos/Calc: SKEW function
From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
Returns a measure of how skewed a distribution is.
SKEW(number1; number2; ... number30)
- number1 to number30 are up to 30 numbers or ranges/arrays containing numbers.
- SKEW returns a measure of how skewed a distribution is, relative to a normal distribution - that is, how asymmetric it is. Positive values indicate a distribution with a tail inclining to the positive side, and negative values a distribution with a tail inclining to the negative side. SKEW calculates:
- for the n >= 3 numbers having a standard deviation s > 0.
- returns a measure of how skewed the distribution of numbers in A1:A30 is.
SKEW(1; 3; 4; 5; 9)
- returns approximately 0.885, indicating that the tail of this (too small to be useful) distribution inclines to the positive.
SKEW(1; 3; 4; 5; 7)
- returns 0; the distribution is symmetric.