Documentation/How Tos/Calc: SEARCH function
From Apache OpenOffice Wiki
< Documentation | How Tos
Revision as of 09:43, 24 November 2009 by OOoWikiBot (Talk | contribs)
Returns the position of a string of text within another string.
SEARCH(findtext; texttosearch; startposition)
- returns the character position of the first occurrence of findtext within texttosearch.
- startposition (optional) is the position from which the search starts.
- The search is not case-sensitive.
- The search will use regular expressions, if they are enabled (Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org Calc - Calculate).
- A failed search gives the #VALUE! error.
- In Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org Calc - Calculate the setting for Search criteria = and <>must apply to whole cells has no effect.
- returns 1. The search is case-insensitive.
SEARCH("cho"; "choochoo"; 2)
- returns 5.
- returns 3, if regular expressions are enabled. The "." stands for any single character in a regular expression, so "t.n" matches "ten".