Build Environment Effort
General documentation about the build environment is here. This page is about the effort to improve our build environment we have just started. The complete build environment and accompanying processes and infrastructure are on trial. The results of this evaluation, discussions about them, a roadmap for future changes and milestones of past, present and future (or links to that) will appear on this page. As we didn't have a better idea, we just called our project "Build Environment 2.0".
About the project
With the preparations for our switch to a DSCM in mind and responding to all the problems in our daily work, we founded a team that will create a new build infrastructure for everybody working on OpenOffice.org. The team consists of (in alphabetical order)
- Mathias Bauer (Project owner)
- Hasan Ilter (QA)
- Hans-Joachim Lankenau (Releease engineering)
- Björn Michaelsen (Development)
- Jens-Heiner Rechtien (Release engineering)
Everything around the project "Build Environment 2.0" will be documented in the wiki, including work in progress, discussions etc. Our plan is to define the "customers" of our build infrastructure, understand their requirements and working styles and try to find the best balance between them.
Activities already ongoing or finished
At the start of this project, it makes sense to list changes that already on their way, partially started long before this project. Some of them match the scope of this project, others can be used to base future work on.
- l10ncleanup - move localization in a module of its own, to thin out the core code modules.
- create language packs without building all of SO/OOo
- Building from several repositories (todo: link to documentation)
- Deprecate 4nt in favor of cygwin
- Switch to a DSCM - speedup and ease SCM part of CWS handling
- Rework build documentation (see results at Documentation/Building_Guide)